During your initial visit, Professor Miller will review your referral, listen to your account of the problem, and ask a number of questions. She will likely examine you, and review any test results that you have. For some problems, the doctor will perform an office ultrasound examination of your neck.
Next Professor Miller will give you her opinion and recommendations. In some cases you will be reassured and no further investigation or treatment will be required. In other cases she may recommend be further tests, a biopsy, an operation, or other treatment. You will have the opportunity to ask questions to be sure you understand.
If an operation is needed, the doctor will explain the specific procedure, help you understand what it involves, and explain the risks and benefits. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like.
Professor Miller will send a detailed letter back to your referring doctor, with copies to any other doctors involved in your care. Good communication between your doctors helps us make sure you receive the best possible care.
Please bring to your appointment:
- A valid referral from your GP or another specialist
- Medicare or DVA Card and Private Health Insurance Details
- A list of your medications and drug allergies
- Copies of your medical records and blood tests
- Relevant imaging studies (films and reports)
- Operation reports of any previous surgery related to your current problem
- A friend or family member if possible