Preparing for Surgery/Procedure
Medications and Fasting
- Please shower at home the evening before or the morning of surgery
- For morning surgery, Do Not Eat anything after midnight the night before surgery unless otherwise instructed. You may drink clear liquids until one hour before your admission time. Clear liquids include black coffee, tea, water, clear broth or apple juice. No milk or other cloudy liquids. Medication with a small sip of water is OK. Your surgery may be cancelled if you do not follow these instructions.
- For afternoon surgery, a light breakfast BEFORE 7AM is OK, and clear liquids only after that, until one hour before your admission time. Clear liquids include black coffee, tea, water, clear broth or apple juice. No milk or other cloudy liquids. Your surgery may be cancelled if you do not follow these instructions.
- Do Not Drink Alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior to your surgery.
- Do Not Smoke for 4 weeks before surgery or your risk of serious complications increases.
- Please take heart, blood pressure, cholesterol, and reflux medicines as directed with a sip of water. For insulin or diabetic medications, please check with your anaesthestist.
- Diabetic SGLT2i medications MUST be stopped for 48 hours. This includes anything ending in “FLOZIN” (empagliflozin, ertugliflozin, canagliflozin, dapagliflozin) and brand names Invokana, Farxiga, Xigduo, Qtern, Jardiance, Synjardy, Steglatro, Segluromet, Stegluhan, and Glyxambi.
- Blood thinners: Stop aspirin or warfarin 5-7 days prior to surgery. Cease rivaroxaban (Xarelto) at least 24 hours before. Cease apixaban (Eliquis) at least 48 hours before. Discuss with your prescribing doctor if you need bridging injectable blood thinners.
- Do Not bring valuables such as money, jewelry etc. Do not wear make-up.
- Bring toiletries and loose fitting, comfortable clothing to wear upon discharge.
- You will be required to remove contact lenses, jewelry, dentures, and wigs.
- Arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home after discharge.
- Notify us if there is a change in your condition prior to surgery (such as a cold, cough, fever or infection). If severe, your surgery may need to be postponed for your safety.
- Stop all herbal medications 4 weeks before surgery unless discussed beforehand. Especially Fish oil, Ginseng, Garlic, and Gingko, St. John’s Wort, or Tumeric, which increase the risk of bleeding.
THE DAY of YOUR SURGERY
- On the day of your surgery, report to hospital reception at the appointed time.
- If you have not already done so, you will meet your anaesthetist.
- You may need a blood test or ECG prior to surgery.
- After the operation, you spend will some time in the recovery room before going to the ward.
- On the day of discharge, you are not permitted to:
- Drive a Car nor operate power equipment.
- Drink Alcoholic Beverages.
- Sign important papers.
The above are not permitted on the day of surgery, nor while taking any prescription pain medication. Instructions regarding safe resumption of the above activities will be provided by your surgeon.